Applets (or the lack thereof)

Hi. I'm running Slackware 3.4 and have had gnome 0.20 running for about
a month now. The only problem that I've had is that I can't add any
applets to the panel. Whenever I try Gnome->Panel->Add to
Panel->Utility->Clock, a program called gen_util_applet runs, taking up
4416k of memory, and a clock never appears on my panel. I have to
SIGKILL gen_util_applet to get rid of it, because if it's not displaying
the clock there's no point in leaving it running. I was wondering if
anyone had any idea as to why I can't run any applets. Thanks a lot.

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does
not want merely because you think it would be good for him.  (Heinlein)
Edward Michael Colbert Daniel Liam O'Connor
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~oconnoem/
edward.oconnor@rose-hulman.edu