Re: file extensions - vfs, file types (methods, context menu, icons, properties)

While you are moving most gmc in libs, why don't make a
gmc-in-icon-mode-like file-selection widget. The Gtk file selection
widget doesn't display icons and that makes in rather hard to find the
file I want. Also add a dropdown box with filters.

---Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx> wrote:

> > VFS: Can gnome apps use VFS' transparently or "fairly"
transparently?

> yes.  But the VFS has not been integrated into the build process.  I
> was telling Tom that I should probably make the vfs library part of
> the gnome-libs distribution (by making a virtual module link).
>
> > File Methods: Can gnome apps call/set/enumerate actions for a file
type,
> > create/enum file types?
>
> The file manager can, but there is no library that does this.  The
> author of lightspeed and I want to work on making a general library to
> do this.  Reusing parts of the file manager.
>
> > Context Menus: Can gnome apps add/enum actions in the context
"Right Mouse"
> > menu for a file type?
>
> In the file manager, yes, you can do this.
>
> > Icons: Is there a way gnome apps can set/get the default icon for
a file
> > type, or extract icon from a file?
>
> not yet,  but part of the new library will deal with this.
>
> > Property sheet: Is there a uniform interface for file object
properties? The
> > first page should contain "properties" that are common to all
objects (such
> > as file name, permission, last access dates, etc). (It would be a
waste if
> > every file type would have to design and create this page.)
>
> It has been placed in gnome-libs now.  We used to have a file-manager
> specific thing that did this (and has an API pretty much like the one
> you suggest).  Do you think we should make this available for every
> application to use?
>
> miguel.
>

> --

==