Re: Libgtop and FreeBSD

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Josh Sled wrote:

> To: martin@home-of-linux.org
> Subject: Libgtop and FreeBSD
> From: Josh Sled <jsled@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>
>

> Sorry for the lack of word/progress on the FreeBSD port of Libgtop...
> I still have intentions to finish what I've started, unfortunately,
> my computer seems to be conspiring against me.
>
> Every time I try to run test programs [to make sure I'm getting the
> data, and getting the correct data], something goes wrong.  Linking
> with the KVM library [used for getting access to the kvm_* functions
> which report on Kernel Virtual Memory] causes the program to do mysterious,
> bad things... sometimes the output code is screwed up and doesn't see the
> correct main function...  Last time I tried, the program had a bus error
> on the first kvm_ call [kvm_getprocs(...)], which strangely [and
> frustratingly] enough had worked before...  [this is still the case...
> see below]

I have now installed FreeBSD 2.2.6 on my system and a working cross
compiler from Linux to FreeBSD. The following test program worked fine
both with the cross and the native compiler:

===================
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <fcntl.h>

#include <sys/sysctl.h>
#include <kvm.h>

int
main (void)
{
        kvm_t *kd;
        struct kinfo_proc *pinfo;
        int count;

        printf("begin\n");
        kd = kvm_open(NULL, NULL, NULL, O_RDONLY, "kvm_open");

        if (kd == NULL) {
                perror ("kvm_open");
                exit (1);
        }

        pinfo = kvm_getprocs(kd, KERN_PROC_PID, 6626, &count);

        if (pinfo == NULL) {
                perror ("kvm_getprocs");
                exit (1);
        }

        return 0;
}

=======================

If this doesn't work on your system, then something with your installation
is broken.

> Either I'm doing something wrong [doubtful because of the lack of complexity
> of my test programs], or FreeBSD is screwed... I can't determine which.
> I've been trying to upgrade FreeBSD, but I think I'm going to have to get
> more disk space before I can do that... and I don't even think that will solve
> the problem, since the test program didn't seem to work on a recent-release
> of FreeBSD [2.2.6 ... the current release version].
>
> Oy vey...
>
> More as it develops...
>
> If anyone else expresses interest in working on the port, I do have
> [somewhat] functional code... maybe they'll have more luck compiling
> than I...

Well, can you put it somewhere where other people can get it ? If you
don't know where, I have enabled anonymous ftp uploads at
'ftp.home-of-linux.org'. Just log in as 'anonymous' or 'ftp' and anything
that looks like an email address as passwort and put it into the
'incoming' directory (Note: You can only upload files to this directory,
you cannot fetch them from there again).

Martin