Re: Gnome from CVS breakage

> Josh Sled wrote:
>
> > No... get automake-1.3 from
> > ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/extra-src/
>
> Got it, installed it..
>
> automake --version gives 1.3
>
> ./autogen.sh and gmake are still giving the same wacky errors. :(
>
> Any one else have any ideas?  Should I repost the errors?

Did you put in the

/usr/share/aclocal/gtk.m4 -> /usr/local/share/aclocal/gtk.m4

symlink after you compiled gtk?

After wrestling with the current version in cvs on my RedHat 5.1 box, I have
determined that you should make sure to do the following things to your
5.1 box before you start building.

1. Uninstall all rpm's relating to gnome or gtk.  The easiest way to do this
   is try to do a rpm -e gtk+ and delete all of its dependencies.

2. Go get the latest gtk+ from cvs, build it, install it, and put the before
   mentioned symlink in place.

3. Build the rest of the packages.

I have things working now.  Some people have made comments about how the
stuff in the cvs repository should compile, even if it is alpha software.
Please take note that although 0.20 was alpha, what is in the repository is
not a release at all let alone alpha.  The instructions on using cvs clearly
state that it may be completely broken and may not even compile.

--Tom