Compile errors on gnome apps not in 0.20

Hi. I recently (and with the help of this list) compiled gnome 0.20 on
my Slackware 3.4 system. I have run into a problem compiling various
gnome-aware apps afterwards. For instance, the latest yagIRC came out
today on Freshmeat, so I downloaded it. I get this error (the same with
every other gnome-aware app):

/usr/local/lib/libgnomeui.so: undefined reference to `dgettext'
/usr/local/lib/libgnomeui.so: undefined reference to `gettext'
/usr/local/lib/libgnome.so: undefined reference to `bindtextdomain'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [yagirc] Error 1

This is not cool. Any idea why this happens? Thanks.

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does
not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. (Heinlein)
Edward Michael Colbert Daniel Liam O'Connor
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~oconnoem/
edward.oconnor@rose-hulman.edu