Re: sound and gnome ?

Caolan McNamara wrote:

> has the gnome project finalized a sound api ?, if not id like to suggest that
> whatever support is included be capable of being used over a network, perhaps
> using nas or rplay, so often its forgotten when sound is used in an x app that
> while X has network support "open /dev/audio" has not.

I've been looking at nas, and it seems pretty complete. Probably gnome
specific
wrappers to nas should be used, for basic things like playing sound
files and
opening audio streams. We could save ourselves alot of work using it.
I've been
working out a basic sound api that I will post if people want.

While I'm not sure how often network audio services would be used, any
gnome
sound system would probably be client/server, and nas fits the bill.

	Peter.