Re: sound and gnome ?

 The Linux Game SDK group is working on a sound system of their own,
look at

http://tychonic.antioch.edu/~gsdk/

 At the moment I don't see the underlying hardware abstraction layer
as the issue, its more the gnome API for sound that is more interesting
to work on. We can use NAS or something else for now to handle the mixing
of streams, and change it later if it isn't doing everything we need.
The initial goal needs to be designing the gnome API so gnome apps are
independent of the hw layer we use.

The model I see is

GNOME
Event Manager-
              \
               + Gnome Sound API -> HW Abstraction (NAS?) -> Sound HW
GNOME         /
Application  -

The GNOME event manager will accept triggers (help me here elliot if I'm lost)
and will handle mappings to the associated action. There will be
standard triggers than applications can activate, like 'out of disk space'.
The event manager will have actions which can be user configured, perhaps
to play a 3 stooges wav file. The Gnome Sound API needs to be able to
play a standard sound file in that case.

GNOME applications, like gnoom or a mod tracker will also want to access
the sound hw, but at a much finer level than just 'play this sound'.
The ability to control the buffer size, etc will be important.

Comments?

Dr Mike
msf@redhat.com