Re: gnome-config problems

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Marc Ewing wrote:

> How important is it to have the config files text based (as in editable
> with a text editor)?  If I offered a solution along the lines of a
> "database" (as referenced above) that could hold integer, string, and
> binary data, and arrays of those, along with command line utilities to
> query and modify them, would that be acceptable?

People have horror stories about the Windows registry, and do not wish to
reproduce it.

What I have suggested to Miguel is to allow plugging in backends to the
gnome_config routines - for example, I'm wanting an LDAP backend to allow
network transparency...

Like ewt was saying on IRC, you could always just change headerRead()
and headerWrite() to read & write text files, and then use the other
header routines in the rest of the gnome_config routines.

-- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/
"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way
to factor large prime numbers." -- Bill Gates from "The Road Ahead," p. 265.