Help with gnome_config

Greetings!

I'm trying to learn GTK and a bit of the GNOME library too.  I want to use
the gnome_config_* interface, but I cannot seem to get it to work
correctly.  Here's a simple test program I wrote to try to figure out how
to get it to work:

--------8<--------
#include <string.h>
#include <gtk/gtk.h>
#include <libgnome/libgnome.h>

int main (int argc, char **argv) {
     gnomelib_init (&argc, &argv) ;
     gnome_config_set_string ("/test/test/test", "test") ;
     return 0 ;
}
--------8<--------

What else do I need to do?  I even tried creating the config file by hand,
adding the section, and a 'test' key and different value.  I tried
stepping through it in gdb but couldn't follow the pointers well enough to
know what it was doing.

Are there any docs anywhere telling more clearly how to use these things
and what things to avoid, etc.?  I don't mind reading the header files
(which are pretty well commented, BTW), but sometimes there are things
that are outside the scope of the header.

Dein,
Wil
W. Reilly Cooley, Esq.                   Schöner Götterfunken
cooleyw@reed.edu                             wcooley@navi.net
Linux 2.0.32                           RedHat 5.0 (Hurricane)

These days, you can't throw a tomato out the window without
hitting a college kid who knows and loves Linux.