Session management (was Re: Panel GUI)

Tom Tromey wrote:
> Jim> I think "gnomesm" would be better.  Session management ought to
> Jim> be optional.
>
> I don't necessarily disagree, but I'd like to know why you think this.
> What if the SM had a way to turn off its session management functions?
> Then you'd just be left with a handy way to log out.
Another point: X11R5 and earlier don't appear to support session
management. I'm working on getting Gnome going on an alpha-dec-osf3.2
box which doesn't have libSM. I have to agree with Jim that it would be
best if Gnome was still mostly functional without session management.
--
Nathan Bryant / CS student, University of Southern Maine