Re: FYI: Free CORBA 2 ORB - omniORB 2.4.0 is now released.

On 26 Jan, Arthur Jerijian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've seen this announcement in comp.os.linux.announce.  Since CORBA might be
> a part of the Gnome project from what I've read, this software may be of
> benefit to the project.
>        *******  Free CORBA 2 ORB for C++ available now  *******
>     - The omniORB2 runtime is fully multithreaded. It uses native platform
>       thread support encapsulated with a small class library, omnithread,
>       to abstract away from differences in native thread APIs.

You beat me to the punch.

There's been a bit of discussion lately on multithreading the
interface, and communications/serialization with the ORB has been one
such issue.

Perhaps it isn't desirable to multithread right off the bat. But it
would certainly be a good idea to not rule threads out at the very
beginning. They could probably be retrofitted later, but especially if
it involved ripping a single-threaded heart out of the thing, that
would be a bit discouraging factor.

This bears a look. (It is released under GPL.)

Dale Pontius