Fonts and GTK

I have not programmed in GTK so far, but after seeing several
screenshots, I have the following comment.

The widgets look extremely good. The only place where they lag behind
is the fonts. The default X fonts are so ugly looking! Is there a plan
afoot to get better font support for the widget sets?

Also, another comment I have is that in general in X there is no
concept of being able to print the screen fonts. That is there is no
connection between the screen fonts and the corresponding printer
fonts. [WYSIWYG] Programms like Applixware maintain the connection
through external config files. Are there any ideas about providing
better support for printing under GTK widgets?

--rama