Re: comments and questions

On 24 Jan 1998, Jim Pick wrote:

> Most people seem to be zeroing in on mico, since it has a fairly
> full set of features.

URLs?  Maybe they should be added to the website.  I found the one for ILU.

> > 2)  Has any thought been given to designing a Component Object
> > Specification similar to JavaBeans.  Just a simple standard way for
> > Objects to be defined.
>
> I've been perusing the specs for OpenDoc, and OLE (I haven't poured
> over JavaBeans yet) - and I think we've got a lot of the raw material
> already in place.  It's worth pointing out that the vast majority of
> the contents of those specs deal with issues that are already
> addressed by CORBA, X Windows, Gtk, drag and drop protocols, etc.
> Many of those specs also deal with "conventions" of how to do UI
> stuff, etc.

I guess "conventions" were more what I was talking about.  Maybe some
guidelines on naming and basic functionality for objects.

> I'd definitely recommend checking out Owen Taylor's plugsocket code -
> that's very cool.

That's in gnome, correct?

I was just looking at your cvsweb since I'm away from my box.  Is there
anyway to actually look at the contents of the files?

Should these types of discussions actually take place on the
'gnome-components-list'.  I found it on the website and was wondering if
others were actually on there.  I subscribed, but haven't seen any
messages yet.

thanks,

jason