Re: Free QT?

Joshua Spoerri <josh@pobox.com> writes:
> This has probably been beaten into the ground,
> but can someone please tell me quickly:
>
> If LGPL code may be incorporated into commercial software,
> but GPL code requires derivative works to be free, how is
> qt's license practically more restrictive than the GPL?

You need to pay trolltech $$ to use Qt code in windows or other
platforms => when trolltech and our fafourite platform dies, all apps
go with it? (remember what happened with amiga's..)
You cannot modify Qt at all - no bug fixes, nothing.
You cannot port it to another platform.
Trolltech decides to do something and we cannot do anything about it.

> So, the question is, does qt's license really limit any more
> than necessary to safegaurd its license? What can I do with
> GPL code that I can't do with qt?

read GPL through more carefully. Qt's license it certainly not ok.

--
-- Tero Pulkkinen -- terop@modeemi.cs.tut.fi --