Re: Database intergration with GNOME?

Steve> But to briefly reiterate--my reason for suggesting it be part
Steve> of libgnome (or libgnomeXXXX) is standardization.

I agree that we have to standardize the CORBA interfaces we use.
But libgnome is a collection of implementations of things.

For CORBA interfaces we just have to make the IDL files (and docs)
accessible.  Applications wishing to use (or implement) a given
interface can just run their own stubbers.

For those writing in C (or Objc/C++), we might provide helpers to make
implementation of some server objects easier, I don't know.  We don't
really have to.

Steve> WRT "advertize"... I still don't understand how dynamic
Steve> invocation, trading services, etc work (*) with CORBA and I
Steve> thus I consider them magic and I try not to think about them
Steve> =).

Probably the wisest strategy :-)

Steve> Yes, it would be a nicer paradigm if a new app just "found" an
Steve> address book on your desktop without having any prior
Steve> knowledge.

This is really the role of the thing we've been calling "GOA" (for
lack of a nicer, better word).  It is the thing responsible for
finding objects according to some criteria.  It is also completely
unspecified.

Tom