Re: Gnomescape...when?

>     >> They plan to release 5.0 source code for "free modification and
>     >> distribution". Nothing known for sure yet about GPL, and the
>     >> source code thing doesn't apply to NS 4.x
>     James> http://www.netscape.com/newsref/pr/newsrelease558.html?cp=nws01flh1
> The article James quotes does refer to the GPL, but Elliot is right:
> (as Tom Tromey pointed out to me) it does not say that they will use
> the GPL, but that they will use the GPL's heritage, whatever that
> means.

Regardless of it is GPLed or not, this is a major victory for the FSF and Free
software.   The Free Software Movement is gaining attention and
momentum, and a revolutionary change in  software industry toward free software
may take place.   The Web is the first major change brought by the Internet,
but history may record Free Software as the second, and larger change. Today's
development is a milestone.

RMS is getting closer in winning the battle against proprietary software than
ever before.
--
Li-Cheng Tai (Andy Tai)                       e-mail: atai@ece.ucsd.edu

Free software:  the software by the people, of the people and for the people,
worldwide.  Develop! Share! Enhance! And enjoy!