Re: A stupid procedural question re CVS

Federico Mena writes:
 > >  If I find a bug in the CVS code, should I:
 > >    1) fix the bug and submit diffs (but to whom?) or
 > >    2) fix the bug and commit (but that requires write access), or
 > >    3) fetch the current version and hope it's fixed there?
 >
 > Option 1 is the best.  You can send the patches to your favorite Gnome
 > maintainer, or directly to the list, I guess.

What if my update crosses someone's commit?  Seems like one iteration
of #3 is appropriate before embarking on #1.

 > >  If I update to the current version, should I have to update every
 > >  gnome package that I'm working on?  I tried "cvs -z9 update -d" per
 > >  http://www.gnome.org/software/anoncvs.shtml, but that tried to update
 > >  everything.  I guess I should have left the -d off.  Maybe that web
 > >  page ought to be changed?
 >
 > The -d option specifies that cvs should create and populate any
 > directories you may be missing.  For example, if someone adds a new
 > directory to a module, you'll want to use this option.

Aha!  I just failed to mention the module, so it gave me all of them (gulp).

Maybe I ought to be sending questions of this sort to the
gnome-cvs-operations-for-clueless-dweebs-who-have-not-read-the-man-page@gnome.org
mailing list?

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://web.crynwr.com/~nelson