Re: About the Gnome Help browser

> Thanks very much :-).  And of course thanks to Federico and Miguel
> for the GtkXmHTML widget!

Koen D'Hondt (ripley@xs4all.nl) needs to get the credit for his
wonderful HTML engine, we just did a global search and replace
s/Xm/Gtk/ on the code :-)

> I just wanted to mention that the gnome-help stuff is still very much
> a work in progress, and we will be hacking at it heavily for some
> time still.  We have not gotten around to defining the URL/URI
> "standard" for things like "man:ls" and so forth, there is plenty
> to be done vis-a-vis DocBook, etc.

> What we have been doing is building
> up all the different components for the help system (and, incidentally,
> a web browser :-) and you'll see things take shape over the next week.
>
> If you have any comments please do pass them on!

Ok, you asked for them :-):

	1. An input line where I could type in an URL for looking it
	   up quickly.

	2. we need a configurator dialog box for GtkXhHTML widgets.
	   To let users choose their setup.  Probably I will write
	   this some day after the file manager is done (this can be
	   used by all of the gnome apps, probably a separate
	   configurator program can be used).

	3. I would like to be able to type in URLs as available on the
	   KDE help system: examples: "info:(emacs)", "man:read(2)".
	   I do not care if this is not perfectly consistent with some
	   standard.

	   In this case, I believe it is more important to make life
	   easier to the user and not force him to type in a man page
	   like this:

		file:/usr/X11R6/man/man5/TestX.5x

	   Note also that Gtk/XmHTML already parses the URL and
	   already recognizes the info: and man: special urls.

cheers,
Miguel.