Re: ANNOUNCE: Style Guide available for review.

Kai Wetzel wrote:

> Ryan Cresawn wrote:
>
> [Consistency]
>
> > The next time you use Win95 click on the "Start" button and notice
> > when the menu appears.  It appears when the mouse button is down.  Now
> > click with the right mouse button on the background and notice when
> > the menu appears.  It appears when the mouse button is released.  This
> > kind of inconsistency is annoying.
>
> I agree.  I guess this is because they use left-clicks
> on the root window to start dragging.
> IMHO having a menu AND drag-select for one button is
> a bad idea in the first place, but once used, it's probably
> the most consistent they could get in this case.

I *strongly* disagree. I absolutely hate it when context menus
appear immediatelly after the button is pressed. Opening them
on click instead of press is the right way to go and should
at the very least be an option if not the default.

It also disables the use of right mouse button for
drag/drop (the OS/2 way - it uses left mouse button
for selection/activation and the right mouse
button for context menus and drag/drop). I home
gnome will have an option to use mouse like this
consistently.

Mark
--
... MouseDevice "/dev/null"