Re: ANNOUNCE: Style Guide available for review.

[moving to GUI list]
>At least under '95 it's impossible to click in a tooltip as it moves
>aways when you leave the original widget.  Whether Gtk follows
>this concept I don't know (havn't used anything other then Emacs
>under X11 for a while)

I think W95 tooltips are stupid, not enough info, "New" button says "Create
new doc" (even kids can realize that).

>> The correct, IMO, should be:
>> Button: lens icon or "Zoom" text.
>I agree that text + icon is a little silly, but if users
>want it, I wouldn't mind.  Maybe it makes getting used
>to an app somewhat easier.  Later one can switch
>to icons + tooltips only mode.  Only the latter is an
>important feature, icon+text surely isn't.

I tried to say: Easy things, small enough; so icon, text or icon with text
are all OK, IMO, like Netscape 3. But maybe icon and text will be imposible
at this moment (anybody knows about GTK?), or collide with "themes".

>> Tooltip: "Change the image visible size" or "Magnify image"
>Good.  Then there is:
>Balloon help:
>Shows some lines of text explaining what the button will do.
>It's arguable what audience this feature should be adressing.
>E.g. "This is a button.  You can click with the mouse to
>magnify the image" is stupid. :O)  But as always, it depends.

That's it, few lines, but with usefull info. No obvious things, only small
and precisse words.

If we start with stupid tips, we can continue with a tutorial abour "what is
a mouse" "keyboard" "monitor" or "cdrom" (aka drink supporter).

>> Help app: "Zoom: Zoom is a tool to... blah blah blah (some info paragraphs,
>> link to related things etc etc)"
>General help app feautures:
>- Help contents/index whatever

Normal help, user searchs/navigates.

>- "Context sensitive" help topics, e.g. for a dialog

Keybinding or "Help" button.

>- topic#element triggered by a ? button/cursor combination

Better click on tooltip to get more info. Or a [?] icon in a side of the
tooltip.
The [?] icon in a window (W95) seems waste if the previous proposition is
done, IMO. But maybe clicking in the tooltips is impossible.
What about move the mouse to the button and hit the key for help? IOW
content sensitive to the button level, not just to the window.

>The modified sets would be stored in seperate message catalogues
>resp. resource archives, only the language set/subset would
>be specified in the preferences, right ?

Yes, exact. Messages "a la themes".

Personal config woould say: use database "gnome-messages.es-1-gsr" or
"gnome-messages.klingon", for example.
You can share message databases (less HD footprint) or have privates.
When using common, if you fix one, every user gets the fix. Privates, well,
it is private, fix it yourself. ;]

GSR

--
  <famrom@ran.es> or <gsromero@euitt.upm.es>   /      /----\