Re: "Official" gnome window manager

> > I'll (finally) bite: people are always talking about using LDAP for
> > these kinds of things.
> >
> > Why?
>
>  Because people don't usually export home directories (via NFS) over the
> Internet.  LDAP is a *great* candidate for just exporting config files to
> a gnome-compliant machine.  I would really not want to run NFS on my
> machines just to export an environment.

Wrap the filesystem(s) in CORBA and implement a security service and
avoid LDAP and NFS.  Not easy (not even close), but how would people
react when you say, "Oh, yeah, GNOME lets you keep your environment
no matter where on the 'net you log in: home, work, laptop, whatever."
Not directly related to gnome proper; perhaps an associated project
could be formed.

jim

--
                                                               Urmane Hendrake
"Apology accepted, Captain Piett."                             aka Jim Niemira