Re: ANNOUNCE: Style Guide available for review.

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Ryan Cresawn wrote:

> Consistency across applications is critical.  It makes a lot of sense
> to have global key settings.  I suspect that when this funtionality is
> included in gnome applications that users will commit to using only
> those applications that conform.
>
> Well thought-out keyboard shortcuts are very friendly and the Mac
> proves it.  The design of the Mac interface has allowed it to remain
> largely unchanged, and still one of the best, since 1984.  Have you
> noticed that Mac users typically remain Mac users and don't want to
> change.  How many people do you know curse Windows because things are
> inconsistent?
>
> The next time you use Win95 click on the "Start" button and notice
> when the menu appears.  It appears when the mouse button is down.  Now
> click with the right mouse button on the background and notice when
> the menu appears.  It appears when the mouse button is released.  This
> kind of inconsistency is annoying.
>
> Here is another thought about global configuration in gnome.  I have
> noticed that some gnome applications have tear-away menus, whereas
> others do not.  How about making a global configuration that would
> either set all application menus to be torn away or make all menus
> appear on the top of each window.
>
> The idea here is that the interface would be consistent among all
> apps.  A user could get NeXT-like menus or Windows-like menus
> depending on their personal taste.  I think it would also make sense
> to not allow menus to be torn away if they are set to "stationary".
> This should be a global setting affecting all gnome apps, not
> individual apps.
>
> --
> Ryan

So lets get these type of explainations in the style guide.  People have
an easy enough time flaming back and forth on GUI issues that coming up
with text for the guide shouldn't be a problem.

--
Shawn T. Amundson		Complete Internet Solutions
Senior Systems Administrator	Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

while (i) { last }
    i, do exist.
    forever;