Re: Shortcuts ??

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Ben 'The Con Man' Kahn wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Ryoga no baka wrote:

[snip]
> 	Okay...  I can see that both as an advantage, and a disadvantage.
> Each symlink has the following information already: permissions, (which
> can be different from the original file) owner, group, and name.

ok for the name and for the owner (for symlinks at least), but permissions
are the same for the original file and all its links, since they all
reference the same thing.

> 	$ ln -s /usr/bin/rlogin ./some.host.name
> 	$ ./some.host.name
>
> 	See?  It rlogin'd to that hostname!  The name is quite powerful.
> Then you have all the information just from the original file.

wooh ! i didn't know it ! but it's a special case, because some programs
check their name to modify the way they work (like rlogin flex init halt).
but some don't care.

> you mean?  Are you talking about .pif files in windows?  As for file
> types...  Well, UNIX has the (slightly broken now) 'file' program.  I'm
> sure it could be updated.  The file type system needs to be system wide.
> I should be able to specify that all .gif files are opened by xv.  The

the difference between the file command and *.*lnk files is that you
can include much more thing in the *.*lnk. You can include command line
parameters, programs to launch, specific information (mime type),
and localisation informations (how do you say 'gif file' in english,
in german or in french, etc...) and many more

> 						-Ben
>
> ------------------------------------ |\      _,,,--,,_  ,) ----------
> Benjamin Kahn                        /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'
> (212) 924 - 2220                    |,4-  ) )-,_ ) /\
>  If you love something, write it in C; if it compiles, it is yours;
>                      if it doesn't, it never was.

............Blessed is the one who says "miaow"...................
Sebastien Tanguy         ("Call me zif...")	  Computer Student
"If you want to travel around the world and be invited  to speak a
lot of different places, just write a Unix Operating System
				(Linus T.)