Re: Installing Gnome

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Eric Harlow wrote:

> I was trying to install Gnome to see what you are trying to accomplish and
> perhaps get involved in some development.  However - when I try to install
> the gnome, I get the following linker error
>
> libgnome.so: undefined reference to 'bindtextdomain'
>
> If someone could let me know what I'm missing, I'd appreciate it.  BTW -
> I'm not on the mailing list yet, so please forward a copy of the e-mail to
> me.

In hope of being of assistance, here is my own log from installing
Gnome. I wrote it for my own reference so it is somewhat informal and
possibly not relevant for you.

8<------

Stuff I had to hack around.

0. Try to install gnome-0.12. Can't find guile 1.2.
1. Install gettext-0.10. Needed to mkdir /usr/local/share/locale
2. Install gmp-2.0.2. No problems.
3. Install gnome-0.12. g_snprintf in libgnome/gnome-score-helper.c
   Try installing gtk+-0.99.3
4. Install gtk+-0.99.3. No problems.
5. New attempt at gnome-0.12. Fails in program/desktop-properties
   because of missing -lXxf86misc. Gah! Comment out
   HAVE_X11_EXTENSIONS_XF86MISC in config.h. Apparently this is
   a version problem with xf86misc. Also commented out xf86misc
   from program/desktop-properties/Makefile.
6. Now I get undefined bindtextdomain, so somehow gettext-0.10 is
   not used. ./configure --with-gnu-gettext seems to work
7. Complains about Objective C. This will wait until tomorrow...
   Installed Objective C from Slackware distibution. Had to put
   in link manually for the include files and the cc1obj binary.
   Now it can't find libobgtk.la. When will it end?!
8. Make libobgtk.la manually in obgtk.
9. Remake the whole thing. Halleluja, it worked.

8<------

Ulric