Re: gmp srpms (was Re: MICO RPMs?)

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> But to answer your question, I've downloaded the new SRPM and checked it out.
> It's almost architecture neutral.  You'll have to edit one little line in
> the SPEC file ::
>     ./configure --target=i586-linux --prefix=${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}/usr
>
> I think the correct semantics would be:
>     ./configure --target=`uname -m`-`uname -s` --prefix=${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}/usr
>
> (You want to leave --target in there because gmp does optimization based on
> The arch/OS combination.... And for some reason it was just going for generic
> without the --target switch.)

It would seem that the latter would be preferred for people who are
going to recompile the srpm, but for the binary the target should
probably be i386-linux since some of the optimizations might cause
problems w/ differ x86 versions.

jason

--
Jason Gilbert | http://www.scott.net/~jason/ | http://www.mantissa.com/

"The total job will be in the software, and we'll be able to write big
fat programs. We can let them run somewhat inefficiently because there
will be so much horsepower that just sits there. The real focus won't
be who can cram it down in, or who can do it in machine language. It
will be on who can define the right user interface and properly
integrate the main packages." -- Bill Gates, PC Magazine 1982