Re: Newsreader on-off line (RE: Mix of Ideas ....)

On Tue, 10 Feb, 1998 at 12:56:05AM +0100, Guillermo S. Romero / unnamed / Familia Romero set free these words:

> All these ideas end in:
> Should a server and client app be coded separated? The server will manage
> queues and connections, and the client will show things to the user and make
> request to the server (the client must be capable of doing requests and
> retrievals).
> I say this cos I doubt if normal clients will be capable of realizing that
> unavaliable requests are queued and they have wait some time to get them
> downloaded, or they will directly say "not in server, forget about this
> article".

If you create a priority queue instead of a simple queue it might work out
okay.  ie: queue'd requests from a user presently on the system have a higher
priority than other items.  When the user is no longer on the system, queued
requests return to default values.
Then the client and server could be seperated from each other.

I like having seperate clients and servers because of the element of
customizability that adds to the system.  Maybe you could look into the
nntpcache program that someone else on the list suggested and see whether it
could be adapted to do what you want?

(From my extremely brief look at the top page, http://www.nntpcache.org,
it looks like it has most, but not all of the capabilities that you want.
Have to download it and actually try it out before really knowing....)
(It might not be too hard to extend if it comes to that -- For instance,
doing news downloads only when the network is up and not transfering data (or
sharing the bandwidth) when other apps are running seems like it should fit in
pretty modularly with most code.  (Before retrieving news, call function to
check network status.)

-Toshio
--
badger  \"The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has
@prtr-13 \ changed between then and now as what I hope to change by tomorrow."

PGP signature