Re: why use guile?

On Mon, Feb 09, 1998 at 08:52:21AM -0800, Anthony Martin wrote:
> Such as scheme, Python, Perl, Tcl, C, C++?  Obviously CORBA isn't a
> scripting language, but it is the common "language" that all other
> languages can speak.  For example:

Well, let's look at this from a practical standpoint.  We don't have an
ORB that's accessible to the lion's share of the languages out there.  So
it's imperative to chose some way to do this within the constraints of
what we've got.  Maybe using guile directly will be a quaint "feature"
that we want to get rid of 2 or 3 years from now, but currently it's the
only way.  And nothing is stopping anyone from linking in Tcl, perl, etc
into their gnome programs.

> Design 1:                     Design 2:
>
> libgnome  gtk  gwm  etc.      libgnome  gtk  gwm  etc.
>     |      |    |    |            |      |    |    |
>            guile                         CORBA
>                        guile  Python  Perl  Tcl  C  C++  etc.
>
> Does GNOME use Design 1, or Design 2, or both?  If it uses Design 1, or
> both, why?  Isn't Design 2 the best?

Both.  As for which is best, it depends on the reality of the situation.

-Peter