Re: guile-gtk?

On Sun, Feb 08, 1998 at 02:47:09PM -0400, Aldy Hernandez wrote:
> Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes:
> > How would you like to access this information.  There are at least two
> > general possibilities, and I'm not sure which one to provide.
> >
> > - A ton of accessor function, so that you can do
[...]
> > - Or a single conversion function that turns a GdkEvent into a
> >   association list

> Wouldn't it be easier to implement the alist aproach and then write
> macros to do something similar to the first approach?

Are there speed considerations which would bias it either way?  If I'm
looking at pointer motion events, for example, I'm probably getting
quite a lot of them, and I probably want to get at least x, y and
button status information: are three calls into C code more or less
expensive than one to build an alist and then call assoc a lot?

Or is the difference unpredictable and hardly worth considering either
way?  (Say it's so, please...)  In that case, then personally I'd
prefer the accessors as a programming interface, but I can always code
that in scheme given the alist -- people who wanted the alist would
probably find that gluing it together from a bunch of accesor functions
looks a little messy.

Is GdkEvent likely to change size ever?

-dan