Re: hiding menu entries

On Fri, 06 Feb, 1998 at 04:57:43PM -0500, Peter Forbes set free these words:
> Mark Galassi wrote:
> >
> > On the issue below I agree with Toshio: I find it pedagogically
> > confusing when a program sometimes does not have some menu entrie, and
> > sometimes it does.
> >
> > One example that has frustrated me is FrameMaker+SGML, where the
> > SGML-related menus change a lot according to what type of document you
> > are editing.
> >
> > The "explanation" feature would be awesome!  You would want the
> > greyed-out area to be highlighted differently as the mouse sits on
> > it.
>
> Sorta related (I guess, really, a UI/gtk issue):
>
> One feature I really like, (at least, that has a lot of potential
> to be useful) about (gasp) Windows 95 is the little question mark
> button on the title bar which when clicked, sets the cursor to
> a pointer with a question mark. Clicking on a screen object (like
> a button) brings up context sensitive help.

[snipped a lot of good ideas about how to implement "pointer-help".]

> The relation: a greyed out widget could still respond
> to a help request, and the help file would document
> why exactly the widget is unavailable.

Except that there has to be some method of keeping the menu posted while
activating the pointer-help button....

--
badger  \"The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has
@prtr-13 \ changed between then and now as what I hope to change by tomorrow."

PGP signature