g++ performance (was Re: Mico Performance && Re: mico RPMS)

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > Kewl.  I have a lowly P75, and it'd take quite a while to compile :)  But
> > one question:  Considering how long this takes to compile, just how large
> > are the RPMs?  It sounds like they could be quite the long download...
> > Also, does anyone have a rough figure on how much memory/horsepower a
> > minimal app using these tools takes?
>
> The compilation times are due to the extensive use of C++ templates
> and the implementation of those in the g++ compiler.
>
> Miguel.
>
> --

	I think that g++ is far slower than other C++ compilers (well, at least
than Borland C++ compilers in Windows/Dos environments). I have a
Pentium 100Mhz with 32 MB and compiling gtk+ C aplications goes fine,
but when I use gtk-- and do my work in C++ (I love C++ unlike other
people here), my system is too slow, and the gtk-- headers are not so
big.

	I´am using gcc 2.7.2.3 in a Red Hat 5.0, ¿is egcs or gcc 2.8 faster or
have them the same problem? ¿have any one of you compared the
compilation speed of theese compilers?

	David.
--
|David Abilleira Freijeiro | Pontevedra, España        |