Re: Database for gnome

On Feb 6, J. Patrick Narkinsky wrote
> I've never used DBI (although I'm a 500 line a day perl addict :)) --
> would it likely be possible to pull in these DBI methods and export them
> to all various apps using CORBA or something?  Note that ODBC is supported
> by more than just "databases" (i.e. access) -- it is also used by
> everything from spreadsheets to web servers.

Well, I was thinking more of a specific SQL interactive query tool. If
you are thinking of a generic Gnome SQL API, then you would indeed need
to wrap it up again into something language-neutral (CORBA comes to mind
there:-)

The problem with all database interfaces is that none of them
standardize the protocol going over the wire. When I began reading up on
ODBC, that was a shocking revelation: it only defines entry points in a
(shared) library.

So if you want to make a server (or client) which can talk to four
different databases, you'd need the development libraries for all four
of them on that one machine.

--
Bart Schuller                  schuller+sig@lunatech.com At Lunalabs, where the
Lunatech Research              http://www.lunatech.com/  future is made today..