Re: Database for gnome

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Bart Schuller wrote:

> Following up on myself, let me show which databases are supported by the
> perl DBI framework:
>
> DB2, Fulcrum, Informix, Ingres, ODBC (i.e. the whole of the ODBC
> alternative proposal), Oracle, Postgres, QBase, Solid, Sybase, XBase,
> pNET (proxy to any DBI compatible db on another machine), Msql, Mysql,
> Empress.

I've never used DBI (although I'm a 500 line a day perl addict :)) --
would it likely be possible to pull in these DBI methods and export them
to all various apps using CORBA or something?  Note that ODBC is supported
by more than just "databases" (i.e. access) -- it is also used by
everything from spreadsheets to web servers.

I guess what I'm really driving at is that many people don't use perl; If
we were to use DBI as a base for a generic database backend, we would need
to make it langauge independent.

I will say that the GNUStep Database Library stuff sounds intriguing --
does anyone know what's going on with GNUStep?  Is it in limbo or what?

Patrick

J. Patrick Narkinsky | God doesn't like intellectual slackers any