Re: Database for gnome

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > Does anydoby working on a database program for the gnome project ?
>
> I would like to see a nice frontend to SQL for Gnome.

I would go further than that -- something along the lines of MS Access
would be most excellent (i.e. simple databasing to a variety of backends
using ODBC). Could we possibly do something with a front-end to the UNIX
version of ODBC?  Does anyone know anything about the UNIX ver of ODBC?  I
just know that it exists.

The nice thing about using ODBC (or something equivalent) is that you can
have anything from an "I need to keep track of who I'm sending wedding
announcements to" backend (i.e. basically just a glorified DBF file) to
Oracle 7, depending on your application.

Would it be worthwhile for someone to work on a gnome-ified ODBC
configuration engine ala the ODBC configuration panel in windoze?

Questions, questions -- Comments?

Patrick

J. Patrick Narkinsky | God doesn't like intellectual slackers any