Re: Ideas: dvigen-widget and guile-config

Jim Pick wrote:

> "W. Reilly Cooley, Esq." <wcooley@c029h021.ipdorm.reed.edu> writes:
>
> > 2. Why not use scheme-based configuration files, rather than the current
> > system?  Ideally, most programs will use Guile anyway, so why not also use
> > it to load configuration files, rather than having extra code to do it?

I'd prefer if none of the programs use Guile unless they are written in
it.
For scripting there should be a CORBA interface.

> No, I don't like that.  I have nothing against config files that are
> based on s-expressions, because those are so easy to parse.  But
> launching an interpreter to load in a few data values is wasteful.  It

Also: if the configuration file is actually a script, it can't be
machine
edited.

> takes 5 seconds for Guile to start up on my 386 I use for performance
> testing (some would call it a boat anchor, but I beg to differ).

I fully agree with you. If more people used 386/4mb for performance
testing
there would be much less bloated software.

Mark
--
... MouseDevice "/dev/null"