Re: gnome-config problems

    Roberto> [hates lisp/scheme; loves perl]

Dear Roberto,

I will certainly not flame you for that; I will only state what I
think most gnomers and GNU types (except for RMS) feel:

There are 4 scripting/extension languages which are widely used and
have good free implementations: scheme, python, perl and tcl.

Any good linux distribution has 3 of those (not scheme yet), and soon
will have all 4 (I expect that Guile will be ready for budling in
linux soon).  And any goos system administrator will install those on
solaris and sunos and hp/ux ... systems.

So if you can get gtk and libgnome bindings for your favourite of
those four languages, you can write very useful programs to use in the
GNOME environment.

But Guile has a special place among those languages, probably in large
part because Marius wrote Guile bindings for Gtk and gnome very early
on in the project.  There is also an objective reason: according to
David Beazley (author of SWIG) guile and tcl have the nicest C library
interfaces for embedding.  This is not to put perl down: it is
certainly a very effective scripting language, but it does not embed
well.