RE: GNOME registry

At 08:47 AM 12/31/98 -0800, you wrote:
>The multiple trees, with replication is called LDAP.  :)
>
>I am trying to get a copy of libPropList. I think this library might be
>recoded
>to use modules for saving the config information. One for normal text files,
>one for LDAP, SQL,
>since Novell is trying to port NDS to Linux, maybe they would write a NDS
>module.

>A library would be a good alternative to putting a registry in the linux
>kernel, because all unix's could take advantage of it. GNOME strives to work
>on all unix's and not just Linux.

That's fine and good. I am just arguing that some interface abstraction (in
both
directions) would be a good way to build a generic configuration manager. Doing
it thru corba would help on the multi-lang part, and also allow a really
neat way
to tie application configurations together in one place (steroid Control
Panel).

The implementation method behind it (LDAP/Text/DB/SQL/INI/OpenDirectory/
Pencil and Paper) would be abstracted, so the program doesnt have to worry
about it.