RE: GNOME registry

Aaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
Yuuuuccckkk..........
Sorry, the word "registry" is corrupt for all time, thanks to Microsuck. :)

There, that being said, maby somthing like this would be a good idea. The
implamentation has to be far better then the winblowz "registry". Actually
readable.

I think somthing like this needs to be a system wide thing, not just GNOME.
Maby a library for config saving should be created. The library could have
different modules for different ways of saving the data. One for flat files
in /etc, one for LDAP, etc. It would be a good idea to modle it after PAM.
Then, if you have a stand alone box, you can use standard flat files, and if
you have a large network of unix boxes, you could place all the settings in
a LDAP directory.

Heck, Microsoft started with ini's, went to the registry, and is now going
to LDAP. Programs with this library could support all three + more. Wouldnt
it be a real kick to have GNOME settings be able to reside in Microsofts
Active Directory before Active Directory is out. That would really annoy
Microsoft.