Re: fork

+----- From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com>
| > Andrea Bosio wrote:
| > > Why can't I fork in my gnome applications?
| > >
| > > After a fork I get a lot of:
| > > Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x15a)!
| > > and normally the app crashes.
|
| When you fork, you dup all the X fds.  Are you trying to do X calls in
| the child?
+--->8

May I suggest that GNOME (or Gtk+, probably) should have a helper function
which does a fork() and then safely disables X, esd, etc. in the child?
Or at minimum Gtk+ should set close-on-exec on its fds.

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu