Gnome/Linux Application Installer

I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up before, but I haven't seen
anyone talk about it lately, so I'll stir the pot again if it has.

There needs to be some universal package format for at least Gnome
applications, but preferably all Linux apps.  Has there been any talk among
the RedHat and Debian (and others who have package formats) to agree on one
common structure?

Gnome apps will also need to be able to add items to the Gnome menu.  We should
give the user complete control over the install if he wants it.  That is, being
able to specify what items will be installed to the menus, and where they will
go.  (Nothing bugs me more when Windows apps create their own program groups
and install reams of useless shortcuts there like READMEs and Help files.) This
also includes being able to install _any_ package _anywhere_.  Uninstalls
should be simple, and they should _work_.  Some installs are more complicated
than others.  Some might just want a simple progress bar, while others will
have more comprehensive "look what you can do with this program" screens during
the install.  The install format should be flexible enough to allow this --
maybe even provide some kind of scripting language.

If some standard isn't decided on, I can see software developers eventually
writing their own little install utilities.  (We are beginning to see this with
things like StarOffice and WP8.)  Instead of making the same mistake Windows
apps do (duplicating the damn InstallShield for every application), we should
have _one_ copy of the installer/uninstall program that handles a common
format.

Comments/opinions?

Jason.