Re: Gnome & RH5.2

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, [ISO-8859-1] Raśl Montoro wrote:

> Hi,
> I've just installed RedHat 5.2 and Gnome. I'm having trouble
> configuring the .xinitrc file to launch gnome when I start X. I can
> make gnome run by typing "panel &" under X. But there's no file in
> my system like .xinitrc, .xsession or Xclients to edit and add the
> lines to make gnome run. I've tried to create a new .xinitrc with
> these lines, but it doesn't work.

If you start your X server by hand (startx, xinit) you need to use
.xinitrc - if you use xdm (and that's the default for RedHat 5.2) you
need to use .xsession.

Remember that you need to run the last command in this file in the
foreground (without the `&') like this:

xterm -ls &
panel

Martin

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier
   martin@home-of-linux.org, http://www.home-of-linux.org/