Re: Color schemes: Proposal for after the code freeze

"Joseph P. Turian" <spam@turian.student.harvard.edu> writes:

> This would be a greater step towards the GNOME theory of unified
> appearance with configurability. I personally, with no disrespect to
> Tigert, would prefer to see a light blue GNOME foot on my desktop, a
> sea green about box, etc.

I think it's important that these things are sensibly configurable,
whatever that means.  I don't want to be forced to define thousands of
colours in order to change the look of the interface: I want to have a
control that lets me change the hue of everything, or increases the
contrast between active and inactive widgets, and that kind of
generally useful thing.

I think "Tog on interface" has some discussion of this.  The idea is
that applications define their colours in terms of one base colour and
offsets in hue/saturation/value coordinates, and then you provide
configuration in terms of the base colour and perhaps other things.

The advantage is that colours which are distinct remain distinct.  In
a traditional scheme, if I change some colour to blue, then I have to
look at the previously blue things and see if I want to change those,
and so it cascades.