Re: Not Invented Here! [was Re: What time does the freeze begin?]

sml13@cornell.edu wrote:

> I like this feature too.  With MS spending billions of dollars on their
> 10-year old Usability Labs you would think that they would get a FEW
> things right...and indeed they have.  So let's not be afraid to "cherry
> pick" those things that are good about the Win32 UI and incorporate
> them into Gnome.  They did the same thing to Mac in Win 95 and the courts
> let them get away Scott free -- so we should have no trouble doing the
> same.

with finals all out of the way and on my christmas schedule at work
(meaning more time off) i think i'm ready to start looking at the freeze
snapshot from a usability point of view. this file selector is an
excellent example of something that should be implemented, tested,
reworked, reimplemented, and retested. there are several ideas--good and
bad--which warrant visualization, so if anyone wants to code such a file
selector up, either send me some mockups or give details on
gnome-gui-list or something so we can hash this sort of thing out. some
of the ideas i've seen i really like, and some of them are absolutely
terrible.:) i'm willing to help sort them out (as well as other
usability issues). if this sort of stuff interests you, keep an eye on
gnome-gui-list. i'll hopefully be posting more stuff there in the near
future regarding usability and design.

--
| To ensure privacy and data integrity this message |