Re: syslog + i18n

In message <199812160621.BAA12326@rwf.lms.mit.edu>, "Sergey I. Panov" writes:
 ] Yes, that what I mean. I did not figure out yet what program is to be
 ] blamed for that. That happens every time user with non-"C" locale
 ] is using "su", even if his attempt to become root is rejected. I think
 ] somebody just internationalized syslog! Then fix is just to undo that.
 ]

Perhaps the syslog library call is using a locale-sensitive date
function.  If that's the case, it's probably a libc bug, as it should
always be logging the C locale date format rather than ${LANG} or
${LC_ALL}.  That's what Solaris libc (the only place I have worked on
i18n) does TBOMK.

The problem isn't as much of which language it's in, but it needs to
be the same language for all of them or collating the file is just
impossible.

--
Jonathan Sergent / sergent@io.com