Re: Freeze is too early

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Michael Mathers wrote:
> With all of these messages concerning the freeze and whether or not
> changes are applicable...  Especially in light of a large amount of
> discussion concering UI and common dialogs.. Does anybody think that
> MAYBE this freeze is a MIGHT early!!

Hell no. Release early and often - GNOME has been terrible about that,
earning a reputation for vaporware despite huge quantities of code and
hundreds of developers.

> With CVS problems up the wazoo I really don't think we have had adequate
> testing and concensus about the interface.  I understand the need to
> freeze things but wouldn't it be better to freeze to... say v0.9? or
> v0.99?

The freeze is to 0.99. We're beta testing for a few weeks, then releasing.
There will be glitches and suboptimal aspects, but GNOME is already a
great desktop and good enough to support nice applications, so we want to
get it out there. Improvements will be made, but then we just release
another version. It's not like 1.0 is the end of the line.

CVS was quite stable until the final freeze-push, there was chaos for a
few days but that was mostly superficial and will get cleaned up in a
hurry.

Plus we all know that UI discussions are neverending, and the file dialog
has already come up half a dozen times as a neverending topic. It's just
that no one has had time to write it, maybe waiting on gmc to be finished
first. The current one is Good Enough For Now.

Havoc