Re: newbie stuff: debian install of gnome

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Pat Byrne wrote:

> Sorry if this is the wrong place - but I don't know where else to go...
> (tell me if I should go to another list)
>
> Installing gnome for debian systems requires the 'apt' package - according
> to the gnome site:
>
> I can't find it on my debian install CD, I can't find it on the debian
> website. It's not with the gnome packages - which I have already
> downloaded.
>
> Please - where is it?
>
> pat byrne
The current installation tool for DEBIAN is still dpkg/dselect. The new
apt is still under development. The apt frontend is developed using GNOME
so maybe that's why you read it on the GNOME page. Well, apt/dpkg/dselect
requires the debian gnome packages to install (I don't use them, I use
CVS).

Again: you can use dpkg / dselect for installing debian packages or get
all the gnome stuff from CVS or a snapshot.

Cheers, Martin.

| Martin Hawlisch                           |
| http://freddy.rz.fh-mannheim.de/~hawlisch |