Re: Spaces in file and directory names.

I am aware that many systems have allowed spaces in file names for a
considerable time, but had not seen their use promoted much until MS
Windows.  Although the gratuitous dump on MS should have been more
accurate, this wasn't really the point of my message.

Nor was it my point that spaces couldn't or shouldn't be handled by
the various GUIs and shells.  I know full well about quoting and
completion and that many shells handle this quite elegantly, as well
they should.  Unfortunately this will not be a consolation to the poor
schmuck that tries to do the following in a tcsh

 % touch "First File" "Second File"
 % foreach file (*)
 %   ls $file
 % end
 ls: First: No such file or directory
 ls: File: No such file or directory
 ls: Second: No such file or directory
 ls: File: No such file or directory

Spaces at the end of file names are also good for a few laughs.

I am not advocating disallowing spaces in file names, just suggesting
that Gnome should not promote this bad idea.  I am pleased to hear
that the standard gnome directories will not contain names with
embedded spaces.

Gisli