CommonSense and the future of Internet.

Hi,

the attached press release seems pretty much off topic for gnome-list or
gmd, but I think it's worth reading. Most of you probably have very
strong opinions about what the Internet is, represents and should be,
but we should all be very much aware that governments around the world
are very eager to regulate the Internet, and (obviously), what
governments want very much disagrees with what we as individuals want.

Maybe I haven't been keeping up with current events, but in the past
years I haven't seen any public, worldwide, debate on the future of
Internet and the role any government should have in it. Now we can
debate about the fact that governments should or should not interfere
with the Internet, but that is not the issue. They are already doing it
and they will only be doing it more.

The Common Sense initiative by PSInet seems to me as it will be the
first debate that actually enables us to think along with companies and
the government and at least enables us to give our own personal views
about the whole Internet issue.

Feel free to forward this message to appropriate newsgroups or mailing
lists.

If you feel this message is really offtopic, please accept my apologies
for wasting your time.

As a final remark: I am an employee of PSInet, but I'm posting this as
an individual.

Koen D'Hondt
--
XmHTML author and maintainer