Re: Problems in all gnome modules forgetting to include -lintl

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:

> Hi,

Hello.

> I built a gnome from CVS this morning on a Slackware 3.6 box and I had a
> hell of a time with it.

Welcome, the first build is always the hardest.  Please be patient, it is
worth it.

> First problem is a minor one:  one or more gnome packages require the
> popt headers, but this is not indicated anywhere in the docs that I know
> of and finding the source to popt is almost impossible, until you notice
> that it is its own package in CVS.  Argh.

Don't use the popt package, it is old.  The popt functions are now part of
libgnomesupport, you will find the files in gnome-libs/support.  It should
get built and installed with the rest of the gnome-libs package.

> Second and far worse problem:  Something with the *-config scripts,
> ./configure, automake, autoconf, or SOMETHING is forgetting to include
> -lintl in every Makefile.  For instance, this is what I get when I try
> to compile gnome-libs:
>
> .libs/libgnome.so: undefined reference to `dgettext'
> .libs/libgnome.so: undefined reference to `bindtextdomain'
>
> If I edit the Makefile to read INTL_LIBS = -lintl, then it compiles and
> runs just fine.  I could (and did) do this for the 10^8 or so Makefiles
> required to build gnome, but what pain!  Does anyone know what the
> problem is?

If everything is installed properly (yes that is a very big if), then
the CVS packages should make and install right out of the box
(assuming they are done in a reasonable order: "glib gtk+ ORBit imlib
gnome-libs gnome-core" is a good start).

> BTW, all my libraries and tools are up to date, including gettext.

First, just to confirm, gettext being "up to date" for GNOME means gettext
version 0.10.35.  Next, make sure that aclocal is finding the right
gettext library.  On my system, aclocal keeps its library m4 files in
/usr/share/aclocal.  Gettext has the files gettext.m4, lcmessage.m4 and
progtest.m4 in there.  In addtion, the following should work:

   $ grep -5 lintl gettext.m4
                    CATOBJEXT=.cat
                    INSTOBJEXT=.cat
                    DATADIRNAME=lib
                    INTLDEPS='$(top_builddir)/intl/libintl.a'
                    INTLLIBS=$INTLDEPS
                    LIBS=`echo $LIBS | sed -e 's/-lintl//'`
                    nls_cv_header_intl=intl/libintl.h
                    nls_cv_header_libgt=intl/libgettext.h
                  fi])
             fi
           fi
   --
           CATOBJEXT=.gmo
           INSTOBJEXT=.mo
           INTLDEPS='$(top_builddir)/intl/libintl.a'
           INTLLIBS=$INTLDEPS
           LIBS=`echo $LIBS | sed -e 's/-lintl//'`
           nls_cv_header_intl=intl/libintl.h
           nls_cv_header_libgt=intl/libgettext.h
         fi

         dnl Test whether we really found GNU xgettext.

If something doesn't check out above, you probably need to fix your
gettext installation; if you need help doing this, you can ask here.
If everything above matches, than something else is wrong.  Post the
actual errors you get to the list, that might give us more clues to go
on.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef