Re: imlib and libpng [was: gnome-libs + Debian = chokes!]

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998 raster@redhat.com wrote:

> ->
> ->  Seems like if libpng has a problem with its alpha code, then the
> ->  Right Thing(tm) would be to fix libpng, not revert to an old release.
> ->  That would ensure that everyone knows about the problem and deals with
> ->  it by upgrading.  Is the upstream libpng maintainer missing, or unwilling
> ->  to fix the problem?
>
> they have been mailed and informed of the bug - the only solution right
> now is to downgrade until some libpng maintainer moves to fix it.

Hi raster,

The libpng maintainers don't seem to have touched the code since June.

Seems to me there is another solution -- we fix libpng, and then we all
use the patched version.  I just checked the license, and there is no
problem with patching it and distributing modified versions.  Seems
doing so is a much better solution.

If you can supply me with example code that does the right thing under
libpng 1.0.1, and does the wrong thing under 1.0.2, with a description
of the problem and how to see it, I'll fix libpng for you and send the
fix upstream.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/