Re: CORBA question

Philip Dawes wrote:

> Or you can have a mutually known server pass the references around. This is
> how the name server works - both the client and the server know the location
> of the name server (through some magic - this usually requires looking up
> the server on a well known port, or passing the stringified IOR to the orb
> on startup) and they use that to publish and look up references to objects.

Isn't the name server implemented with CORBA interfaces, not sockets?  The
orbit-name-server doesn't appear to use sockets.  So you need the IOR of the
name-server.  I assume you have to do that by using popen on orbit-name-server,
and reading the stdout for the IOR.  This seems a bit messy.

I noticed CORBA_ORB_resolve_initial_references.  The ORBit/test/test program
lists all services in this, and the InterfaceRepository is in it.  If a server
registers itself in the IR, then a client can look it up.  Given an objec
reference to a "Contained" corresponding to the interface, how can you create
an instance of the interface, or retrieve an existing one?

Andrew Clausen

Andrew Clausen